1) Today was sort of a blue day.. one of those "I never got out of my pajamas day" that I haven't had in a LOOONG time (side note: I am almost done with my quarter; finals are over!! Hence, the comfy clothes day. But, I always feel a bit out of sorts and blue and a little frustrated once school is done--like the rush is over, and now what.. you know? And, to make matters a little worse, I am PRN at my hospital, and for the last 2.5 yrs, they have had steady needs so that I could work 2-3 days/week, as my schedule allowed. Well, now, they are completely staffed, and have no needs, thus, I haven't worked this week. Between this week and Christmas, I have no hours... I have sent out numerous resumes, and will be knocking on doors soon, but it's a little depressing. I feel like John McCain--I've been going 110% between school, clinicals and work--and now splat. Nothing.).
And that's what made Caleb's comment all the more precious. We were sitting together, reading books about trains, on the couch, and out of the blue, with no prompting, Caleb said, "Wuv you, Mommy." I kissed his forehead, blinked my tears back, thanked God for this child, smoothed his hair back, and told him that I loved him too.
2) When you ask Caleb his name, it's anything these days. It's not just Brian anymore--it's Parker-Sarah-Hannah-Paula, or anything that crosses his mind. :) Yesterday morning, he was Joel (my brother), then he was Shelley (Joel's wife) and it was a little amusing to ask have to ask him, "Shelley, did you poop in your pants?" (No offense, Shelley!) :)
3) I got out a small, baby piano that Caleb's aunt Duke had gotten for him for his 1st birthday. He began to play it (it's a small little thing with 5 or 6 keys, but he loves it). And, I saw him get a small little footstool, and place it in front of the piano. Then, he sat on the stool and stooped over and played the piano. Then, I realized what he was doing (trying to play a piano like his dad) so I propped the piano up on a firetruck as a make shift piano stand, and man, Caleb went to town. He loves sitting on the footstool, in front of the firetruck/piano (which are in front of the mirror!) and playing! It's great.
- A side note: If you ask Caleb what he "does" he'll say "Church". Then, if you ask him what he does at church, he'll say, "Play." Then, if you ask him what he plays, he'll say, "My play piano." He's totally identifying with what John does, and I love it! It's precious!
4) Matthew has begun signing! Yeah! He used to let out this high-pitched-annoying-as-hell! shriek when he was sittting in his high chair.. Even Caleb would say, exasperated, "Maffew David, no sream!" Anyway, we would practice signing (even though his shrieking would drive me up the wall--and I know better than to think they've completely gone away, but...). And with every high pitched, ear splitting, shriek, I would reiterate, "more?" and then I'd put my hands together, signing more for him. Even Caleb would sign it for Matthew. Anyway, yesterday, out of the blue, John was holding him, and Matthew began to sign "more"!! Yeah! We made a big deal of it, and put him right in his highchair and fed him! I only heard one shriek today, as opposed to numerous times a meal, numerous times a day. :) Making progress. :)
- Once, when Matthew was shrieking (before the signing kicked in) and Caleb was hollering for something, I began to sing. I often try and sing as a way to divert their attention (when they're both hollering, that's enough to drive me crazy..). Anyway, I began to sing, and it quieted both of them down. Aghast, and slightly astonished, Caleb said, "Wow. Nice Jesus, Mommy!" (translated: nice music!). I just thought the word combination was funny.. :) He's fun.
Blessings.
kak
2 comments:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stories! Our boys would have a blast with each other! You are great with words too Mama...love the blog!
I, too, treasure your stories. Children are surely one of life's ultimate pleasures and truly a gift from God. Altho there were days when they're shrieking or out of sorts, I can remember wondering why I chose motherhood! That said, they are such a precious gift from God, and I love hearing what they've said and done. You're awesome with them! I especially love singing to calm the "wee angry beasts", so to speak. :-)
Post a Comment