Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Arranged marriages, tampons, and jumping on the bed.

"Caleb, leave Matthew alone.. he can play with the truck; you should be happy with the tampon you're playing with!"

What?? Seriously!!? What did I say?

So, yesterday, Caleb must've been digging around in my purse. He came into the kitchen, looking so proud of himself, holding a tampon, trying his darndest to get it out of the wrapper. I figured, it's clean, it's going to occupy a few minutes of his time, let him play with it. :) So I did. He pulled it out, and then played with it, trying to get it all back together again. He then noticed that the baby was playing with a toy of his, and he suddenly wanted it. Thus, the above-mentioned statement. :)

While I was observing him trying to put the tampon back together, I realized that a tampon is like gossipping or lying; once it's out, it's impossible to put back together. Words of wisdom found in a tampon. Who knew?

I thought about trying to explain that to Caleb, but he doesn't yet know what a lie is, so I didn't. He is still very honest (ie, "Caleb, did you hit the baby?" "Yes." Or, my favorite, when I was in a different room, I could hear him jumping on our bed, hence: "Caleb are you jumping on the bed?"--and you can hear the delight in his "YES!"). :)

In other news, I just finished a book called A Good Indian Wife, by Anne Cherian. It was a fictional novel that delicately explored arranged marriages and the Indian traditions behind them. I found it fascinating for a few reasons:

1) Duke and I witnessed an arranged marriage ceremony when we were in highschool. An Indian friend of my parents, in India, arranged the marriage for their oldest daughter (who was Masters trained, upper 20's), and we were all invited to Madras/Chennai for the wedding. My dad, Duke and I went, and we witnessed the engagement ceremony, and the wedding ceremony, all held in the same day. That had a huge impact on me. How could someone trust their parents enough to let them arrange their marriage? Their future? Fascinating topic. (Duke and I went back to India, years later, just the 2 of us, and we happened to have supper with the parents of the bride, who are my parents' age. They have been married for 35 yrs, and their marriage was arranged. They said that they got married and learned how to love each other later, as opposed to our western way of doing it--fall in love then get married. Like I said, interesting topic.)

2) The other reason why I liked the book is because the American side of the story took place in San Francisco. John and I LOVED San Fransisco, and almost moved there. It was either SF or Dayton, OH... SF or Dayton (picture my hands in the air, weighing the two different cities).. MMmmm, let me see. Dayton!! (Actually, Dayton gave us a job, while SF would have been a harder life for us, I would have been the bread winner, working a lot, we would have just had a baby... We wonder, sometimes, though, what it would have been like had we moved to the Berkely/Bay area.)

School starts in a month. I'm actually excited. :)

Also, anyone know how to do an RSS feed?

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Kak,
I just love it! THy blog, I mean. I love reading scraps of thy life, most of which I've heard before, but not all, and all of which makes me chuckle, smile in admiration, or nearly cry (out of what, pride, love, affection, the "I know what thee means" feeling, or all the above?
I watched the opening of the Olympics last night--did thee catch it? I loved watching all the vaious teams walk in, some of them looking so amazingly proud, excited and happy. I thought the USA team looked a little bored with the whole process.
Love thee--and am filled with admiration for the kind of mother/wife/nurse/student/sister/aunt/etc thee is!
Ma

Sarah said...

This is so cute, Kak! Corey knows how to do the RSS feed. I'll try to figure it out as well and get back to thee... :)