Saturday, August 2, 2008

Jesus

So, I'm very slowly trying to read the Bible again... I've just not been regular about it for a long time; blame it on kids, marriage, whatever, I'm just trying to become a little more disciplined about that area of my life.

At a friend's encouragement, I'm reading through Matthew, just to find out who Jesus is... I, like most people, have doubts about the whole God thing sometimes--is it for real? Is it all a sham? Last night, I asked John this question: "John--do you think it's for real? I mean, the whole God thing? Do you think that He's just a whole bunch of made up stories, conglomerated into one "god-like being" that have been passed down through the ages? How do we even know who he is?"

Without even blinking his eyes, and between choosing beer or wine for a post-dinner drink, John answered, "He is just a bunch of stories.. That's why He sent His Son Jesus, so He'd point us to the Father. Without Jesus, he would be just a bunch of stories and we would never have the chance to know him.. But thankfully, Jesus came, died, and redeemed us to the Father..."

(My thought: WOW! He's right!)

Then, this morning, as I was reading through Matthew 2, I was struck with how many times Jesus' earthly parents moved at the urging of dreams, angels, etc, to first of all, protect Jesus from Herod's wrath/jealousy, but also to fulfill prophecies that were foretold 500 years earlier..

Then, it struck me--Jesus' life was protected and preserved as a toddler so he could ultimately give it in the place of mine.

That's what I'm thinking about today.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Wow, Kak, I really liked the last point you made about his life being preserved as a toddler so He could give it to you as a man. Can you imagine preserving Caleb's life now, so that he could die for the sins of a murderer later in life? I certainly can't! What love, unfathomable.