Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The summer's coming to a close..

And my birthday is coming. I'll be 29. Almost 30. I can't believe it. Almost THREE decades of life!!! I've thought about how I want to celebrate it.. do I want to go camping and rough it, or do I want to go to Chicago and live it up? I don't know.. either way, I DO know that I'll squeeze a run or two in to celebrate. But that's over a year away. Who cares. Oh, this year, my birthday is on the actual Labor Day, which is appropriate, considering that labor really is hard friggin work!

And school starts up again. I'm a little nervous about that, and about how we'll all keep our schedules... Time to drag out the master schedule board that I'd hidden under the couch in June, with relief, thinking, "Oh, September will never come..." and now suddenly, it's just around the corner. I'm in a Pediatrics clinical rotation this year; should be interesting.

John and the boys and I just got back from Kansas City, MO, where we were visiting my sister, Duke, Corey, and their kids. Besides the occasional cousin squabble, we had a good time. I got to see where Duke works (Children's Mercy, in KC, MO), and John and I got to explore downtown Kansas City a little bit. I was so proud to see my sister in her scrubs, talking with her colleagues, introducing me.. Of course, EVERYBODY thought we were twins, which we think is just hilarious, and I had to remind them and her that I'm two years older. Most were suprised (it's my hair.. once I start growing it out, I look younger and younger. I think it's time to get it chopped off again.)

It's always good to get home, though. Today, I wanted to go running with the boys.. I'll entice Caleb by saying, "Do you want to go running to the park!?" He'll normally say, "YES! Part!" (can't say "k" yet) and so off we go. Today, though, I tried, and he said, "No part. I need home. I need our house." What a self aware little kid! So we stayed and went for a walk with John and Matthew after supper. :)

This kid is talking so much. Today, he came into the kitchen with a kleenex and said, "My no wunning.." It took me a second to realize that he was saying, "My nose is running" (ok, so he can't say "S" or "K" yet) and sure enough, it was! I LOVE watching him make connections like that.

We got him a Brio train set for his birthday, and he loves it! The baby also likes to chew on the various wooden track pieces, much to Caleb's chagrin. "No NO baby! MY choo choo!"

Three fun accomplishments this summer (besides the usual fun):

1) I counted: I've read 10 books since July 4th. That's a good feeling, considering that I really hadn't read that much since before college, or highschool, for that matter. My favorites of the summer are "Water for Elephants" by Sarah Gruen and "Tamar's Sacrifice" by Naomi Ragen (just finished today). I've discovered Jodi Picoult, and she's great. I have one more book to go before I put the kibbosh on major book marathons (I'm a little wierd when it comes to books.. I can't do ANYTHING else.. I have to finish my book. I'll read while feeding Matthew, while playing with Caleb.. it's a little psychotic).

2) And, I'm all caught up on the boys' picture albums, which is a nice feeling. I just put pictures in slots in chronological order; I don't do creative memories (yuck!) or anything fancy like that.

3) We've done FOUR major cities this summer: Philadelphia, Kansas City, Chicago and St. Louis. John and I got away (twice!) to St. Louis and Chicago for overnights, and the other two, we sampled "John and Kak style". We had authentic Philly cheesesteaks in Philadelphia and ice cream in Kansas City... Fun stuff.

And that's about all for now. I'll post pics soon.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so impressed with thy pictures! I wish I had my kids done, even the way thee does it. I can always go back and scrapbook later. :) Also, the Sacrifice of Tamar is one of my favorites of Ragen's as well. She handles tough topics so well! love thee!

katharine said...

I need to be honest; I've got all my pictures sorted for Matthew's "first year of life book" but I don't have them in a book yet. I have the book, but no pics. However, I DID update our "family albums" which was a good feeling. :) All pics are sorted, tagged and know where they're going. That's half the battle right there.. but as I thought about it, I realized I wasn't being totally honest about all the details. :)

Nick and Erin said...

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Kak...Happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss you so, haven't sleeped in 24 hours and been gone for a week so once things settle I need to call you! Love you! EB

Katie said...

LOVE Jodi...have read all of her books. LOVED water for elephants...read it this summer also. LOVE how you read books...i am the same psychotic reader you are...which is why i rarely read. props to you for 10 books this summer! sorry for your neglected kids (j/k...zach feels the pain too!)